Liposuction is one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed. It is also known as liposculpture.
This surgical technique removes excess fat located in certain parts of the body. It uses a cannula (a long sucking device) to aspirate the fat as it is inserted into the subcutaneous tissue through a small incision in the skin. Then, the doctor will move the suction tube back and forth to loosen the fat and suck it out.
Liposuction can be combined with other surgical techniques, such as tummy tuck or butt lift, for a skin tightening effect on the lower part of the body. Also, fat obtained from the back and flanks (love handles) can be transferred to the buttocks to get a more feminine curve.
Currently, laser and radiofrequency (vaser lipo) can get you better results than traditional liposuction. This new technique has many advantages, such as:
- reduce trauma and bleeding.
- improve the retraction of the skin.
- doesn’t damage the fat cells so that they can be transferred to other parts of the body.
Regardless of the technique you choose, liposuction and liposculpture procedures require a cutting-edge plastic surgeon with a wide experience.
Medical Solutions Barcelona
IN WHICH ZONES CAN LIPOSUCTION BE CARRIED OUT?
- Neck and chin. It’s the best treatment for the double chin. It is usually done with facelifts.
- Upper arms. Great amounts of fat can be removed (1000 cc) with very good skin retraction.
- Stomach. This is one of the most popular areas for liposuction, particularly after a pregnancy. You can get a defined and flat stomach. However, if the muscles are weak or there is a lot of extra skin, the procedure should be combined with a tummy tuck.
- Back. The love handles of the back give excellent results after being treated with liposuction. Few exercises work in this area, which makes it very difficult to burn these excess fat deposits.
- Thighs. The most important thing is not to empty this zone but to shape the contour. Combined with radiofrequency we can get better results in this area.
- Knees. It is possible to eliminate the pockets of fat that appear in the inner part of the knees and above the kneecap.
- Legs and calves. It involves reshaping the area above the ankles, where fat accumulates. The natural curves of the musculature of the leg can also be redefined (calves).
Liposuction is usually carried out under general anaesthetic. However, depending on the number and size of the treated areas, it could be done under local anaesthetic. Also, local anaesthetic plus sedation or even an epidural are options. Traditional liposuction surgery can take between 1-3 hours.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR LIPOSUCTION?
Liposuction is carried out on areas of the body where fat deposits tend to accumulate, such as the buttocks, hips, thighs, and abdomen. However, liposuction should not be seen as a weight-loss option.
As a cosmetic procedure, it is better suited for patients with normal weight and good skin elasticity. It aims to improve the body’s shape and contour.
However, it is not always a cosmetic procedure. It can also be used to treat certain health conditions, such as:
- Lymphedema: Long-term condition that causes excess fluid buildup and swelling in the arms and legs.
- Lipoedema: Condition where there is an abnormal accumulation of fat under the skin in the legs, buttocks, and thighs.
What is Lipolaser?
Lipolaser is a modern and minimally invasive procedure to remove excess body fat. An incision is made in the skin into the fatty area, and a small laser is used to melt the fat deposits. Then, the liquefied fat cells are suctioned out by the surgeon using a cannula.
The Antiaging Group Barcelona Clinic has been chosen as a pioneer group in Spain to use lipolaser LIPOLIFE. This new system allows us to separate the fatty tissue without destroying the fat cells.
The great advantages of the Lipolife laser are:
- increased safety.
- less aggressive technique (reduced bleeding).
- improves the retraction of the skin.
- the fatty tissue can be used as grafting for breast enlargement surgery or buttock augmentation (BBL).
In general, lipolaser post-operative care is minimal. Usually, patients can return to work 2-3 days after surgery.
What is Vaser Liposuction?
Vaser liposuction procedure is a pioneer fat removal technique suitable for both men and women. It uses minimally invasive advanced ultrasound technology to target, liquefy, and remove all excess fat areas with extreme precision.
Vaser liposuction is the best solution for high-definition results. It can be used even in delicate areas as the chin or inner thighs. The results are very subtle and natural.
Ultrasound probes are inserted into the skin through a small incision. Then, fat cells start to break apart and can be easily removed using a cannula. The treatment only targets fat cells, causing significantly less damage to the surrounding tissue.
Compared to traditional liposuction, Lipo Vaser is a minimally invasive fat removal and body contouring treatment!
- The patient recovery time is shorter. Less downtime.
- It is a minimally invasive procedure.
- Post-operative pain is minimized.
- Minimal scarring, bruising, and bleeding.
- Skin-tightening effect as a result of stimulated collagen production.
This procedure can be performed under local anaesthetic. Depending on the number of treated areas, patients may not require an overnight stay in the hospital.
WHEN ARE THE RESULTS OF THE LIPOSUCTION SEEN?
After liposuction, the results start to be visible two or three months after the treatment. However, it can take up to 6 months for the area to settle completely.
Two months after the operation, you can start the treatment with radiofrequency to target flaccid areas. For best results, liposuction can also be combined with intralipotherapy and ultracavitation.
Also, you should maintain a healthy lifestyle and a stable weight to ensure long-term results. Otherwise, there is a risk that the remaining fat cells will grow bigger.
WHAT RISKS DOES LIPOSUCTION HAVE?
There are some risks, including pulmonary embolism (fat gets into the pulmonary blood vessels). Also, you could present infection, scarring, and numbness. However, liposuction is considered a low-risk cosmetic surgery if an experienced surgeon does it.
After surgery, there will be swelling and bruising that can take up to two or three weeks to go. It is necessary to have massages and wear a compression garment to reduce inflammation.
You may need to take antibiotics straight after the surgery to minimize the risk of infection. You will also be prescribed mild painkillers to ease any pain and reduce swelling.
After surgery, there will be small scars, not usually visible. At first, they will be red, then purple, and then fade over one year. Although this hardly ever happens, scars can become wider or thicker. In these cases, you may need to have surgery to correct them.
You will need to avoid strenuous activity for the next 4 to 6 weeks. However, walking and general movement are allowed.
DOES LIPOSUCTION ELIMINATE CELLULITE?
There is a difference between the two situations: cellulite and lipodystrophy.
Lipodystrophy involves the accumulation of localized fat in certain areas such as thighs, abdomen, and arms. This fat is not eliminated by diet and exercise because it has hereditary and hormonal causes. However, liposuction can eliminate it definitively.
On the other hand, cellulite involves an alteration in the subcutaneous tissue that causes nodules and depressions. Treatment goes from creams to surgery.
There is no treatment completely effective against cellulite since the causes are multifactorial. However, radiofrequency, ultrasound technology and infrared lasers have proved to be effective.
So, can liposuction improve, worsen or eliminate cellulite? The answer: each case is different. But it is safe to say that this procedure is not effective in removing cellulite, dimples, or stretch marks.
HOW IS HIP FAT (SADDLE BAGS) REMOVED ?
The quickest and most effective method to get rid of severe hip fat (saddlebags) is liposuction. It isn’t a very painful zone and is easy to anaesthetize. Treatment doesn’t require hospitalization.
The procedure eliminates the deep part of the fatty tissue. However, in the superficial part, we have to be careful to avoid dimpling or irregularities.
After the surgery, your doctor may leave the incisions open so that excess fluid and blood can drain from the body. Also, there will be some swelling and bruising that will take two or three weeks to disappear.
It is necessary to have massages and to wear a compression garment for a month.
In general terms, the love handles are a good area of the body to be treated, and the results are great. If there are flaccid areas, it is helpful to treat them with radiofrequency.
HOW MUCH LIPOSUCTION COSTS?
Liposuction surgery cost depends on the amount of fat removed. The price also depends on the areas of fat removal. Every procedure is specially tailored for you, and so is the cost.
Since we know that the price is important, we welcome you to visit Antiaging Group Barcelona facilities for a free, no-obligation visit. You’ll have time to consult with the plastic surgeon, ask questions, and talk about any concerns.
We can guarantee you the best solution and the best price for your liposuction!
Alma Laser company has chosen Antiaging Group Barcelona as a pioneer group in Spain to use its lipolaser LIPOLIFE™.
With over 20 years of experience, we are the leading clinic in Spain in liposuction and liposculpture.
Doctor Jesús Benito is a recognized authority in Spain in plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
Doctor Jesús Benito
Specialist in plastic and cosmetic surgery.
- Secretary of the ISAPS (International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery).
- Former president of the Spanish Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (AECEP).
- 2013 Gold Medal (Forum Europa)
Bibliography & Publications:
- Montañana Vizcaino, J., Baena Montilla, P., BENITO RUIZ, J. Complications of autografting fat obtained by liposuction. Plast. Reconstr. Surg., 1990, 85(4): 638 – 639.
- Sanchez A, Benito-Ruiz J, Fontdevila J, Raigosa M. New system of collecting fat with a bottle of Redon drainage. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Jan;125(1):34e-35e
- Benito Ruiz, J. Injertos de tejido adiposo. Cir. plást. iberolatinoam., Dic 2011, C/V Dr Jesús Benito Ruiz vol.37, no.4, p.311-318
- Liposucción en la Región Abdominal”. VII Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Española de Cirugía Plástica Reparadora y Estética. Santiago de Compostela, 7-10 Junio, 1995
- Liposucción en miembro superior. XXXIV Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Española de Cirugía Plástica, Reparadora y Estética. Málaga, 25 al 29 de Abril de 1999.
Do you want more information about liposuction?
The first visit is free and without obligation.
You can contact us on WhatsApp or Viber at +34 657 460 421.
If you wish, you can send us some photos to have an estimate quote. Photos will not be stored and will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Please explain the results you wish to obtain.
Antiaging Group Barcelona
Ronda del General Mitre, 84, 08021 (Barcelona, Spain)
Nearest Metro Stations: Les Tres Torres / La Bonanova