THE ENDOSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTROPLASTY: BENEFITS, RISKS AND COST
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ENDOSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTROPLASTY?
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR THIS PROCEDURE?
Bariatric surgery is for patients with a BMI > 40 kg / m2 or BMI between 35-40 kg / m2 with associated comorbidities. Thus, the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty is a less invasive option offered to patients suffering from moderate to severe obesity.
The ESG is perfect for patients who are not candidates for bariatric surgery based on body mass index (BMI) criteria or are fearful of having this invasive procedure due to the high risks and complications.
To sum up, you are an ideal candidate if:
- You have Type I obesity (BMI between 30-35kg / m2). Patient must also have associated morbidities.
- You have Type II obesity (BMI between 35-40kg / m2)
- You have Type III (BMI > 40 kg / m2) or Type IV (BMI >50 kg / m2) obesity but reject surgery.
Patients who reject surgical treatment or present contraindications can book an appointment with us to receive a proper orientation.
WHAT IS THE PROTOCOL BEFORE AN ENDOSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTROPLASTY?
The preparation for the Non-Surgical Gastric Sleeve procedure includes a complete check-up. There is also a set of lab tests and consultations with the bariatric surgeon, psychologist, gastroenterologist, and nutritionist.
This multidisciplinary team will verify that there are no contraindications for the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty.
The protocol before the operation is:
- Preoperative exams: Blood, urine, H. Pylori test, and digestive endoscopy. If you wish to save time, we advise you to take these tests at home. The results will be available after 5 to 6 days. So, it is better to perform them beforehand to avoid extending your stay in Barcelona.
- Consultation with the Bariatric Surgeon:
- To exclude any contraindications. The doctor will answer all your questions regarding the procedure.
- To know the expectations. The doctor needs to know them before the intervention to explain the risks of the procedure and do the appropriate postoperative follow-up.
- To know the medical history. The consultation will also allow us to determine your obesity degree and the presence of associated metabolic diseases or serious pathologies.
- Consultation with a psychiatrist: It is necessary to exclude any mental illnesses, eating disorders, or drug addiction. They could limit or hinder the monitoring and effectiveness of your procedure. If the patient does not have a psychologist report, a consultation can be done on-site. The price of the check-up and the mental health report is 200 euros.
- If the results are correct, we will schedule a preoperative anaesthesia consultation. The patient can also have the EKG and chest X-ray on the same day.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR AN OBESE PATIENT TO SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP?
According to WHO (World Health Organization), obesity is one of the most persistent epidemics of the 21st century. It has drastically increased because of poor eating habits and lack of physical exercise.
Obese people may suffer from other pathologies such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, and cardiovascular diseases. They may also have psychological problems, sleep apnoea, gynecological, digestive, and liver disorders.
If you have excess weight, you are at risk of increasing the probability of uterine and colon cancer. In the long term, people who suffer from this health condition may evolve towards obesity. Therefore, its progression can affect health significantly.
HOW MUCH DOES A NON-SURGICAL GASTRIC SLEEVE COST?
The Non-Surgical Gastric Sleeve procedure costs 10,700 euros.
At ServiDigest Clinic in Barcelona, this price includes:
- Preoperative exams such as blood tests, EKG, and chest X-rays.
- Digestive endoscopy and H. Pylori test.
- Psychologist consult.
- Preoperative preparation:
- Preoperative anaesthesia consultation.
- Intervention team fees.
- Anaesthesia team fees.
- 1-day clinic stay.
- Additional bed and meals if you have an accompanying person.
- Medical supplies during the clinic stay.
- All postoperative check-ups and follow-up for one year.
Private health insurance policies do not cover the Endoscopic Gastric Sleeve procedure. As private clinics or hospitals perform the procedure, there is no reimbursement.
Other articles that may interest you – External links – Bibliography
If you wish, you can book an appointment with a Gastric Sleeve specialist.
If you want a quote, please send a recent medical report.