Nowadays, Poland Syndrome reconstructive surgery is possible with a very advanced technique which can create a custom-made implant based on the chest wall deformity. Sometimes the implant is combined with fat grafting.
This surgery requires a plastic surgeon with wide experience and who is at the forefront of the most advanced techniques.
HOW IS POLAND SYNDROME CORRECTED IN MEN?
Unlike women, surgery to correct Poland syndrome in men is usually done after adolescence. Currently transferring the latissimus dorsi muscle to the chest is avoided. Although theoretically it would be a good option, it involves sacrificing a healthy and useful muscle. As well as that, with time, the muscle could waste away and require the use of an implant.
In the case of men, the best option is to use implants in combination with fat grafting. The implant replicates the contour of the pectoral muscle and the fat graft hides the inevitable edges of the implant which can be seen subcutaneously.
By means of a CT scan (CAT), the AnatomikModeling Company creates a custom-made implant based on the chest deformity The implant covers and fills in the entire defect. It can be reshaped and adjusted in situ during the surgery so that the contours are noticed as little as possible.
Antiaging Group Barcelona is the only Spanish centre of reference for AnatomikModeling. Doctor Benito has received theoretical and practical training on the computerized construction of 3D implants and the distinct intervention techniques.
This plastic surgery should be carried out when body development has finished. It is very difficult to achieve perfect symmetry as the defect involves the absence of several tissues at the same time.
PROS AND CONS OF CUSTOM-MADE IMPLANTS.
The advantages of this surgical technique for Poland syndrome patients are the following:
- Customized and personalized surgery according to the existing deformity.
- Silicone material which is soft but solid: it feels like the sternum (chest bone), and definitive.
- The edges of the implant adapt to the defect and are also covered by the musculature.
The main disadvantage of this implant is the cost, as they are very expensive. But it needs to be kept in mind that these are lifelong implants which don’t need replacing, as they are made with silicone elastomer, not with gel.
Doctor Jesús Benito: Publications:
- Benito-Ruiz J. “Male chest contouring with Implants”. En: Encyclopedia of Aesthetic Rejuvenation through volume enhancement. Herman CK, Strauch B. (Eds), 2014, p 303.
- Tratamiento de síndrome de Poland en Hombres. III Congreso Ibérico de Cirugía Plástica, Estoril, 2 a 4 de junio de 2016.
- Aesthetic reconstruction of Poland syndrome in males. ISAPS Congress Kyoto 2016.
Book an appointment with Doctor Benito.
The first visit is free and without obligation.
You can contact us on WhatsApp or Viber at +34 657 460 421.
If you wish, you can send us some photos to have an estimate quote. Photos will not be stored and will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Please explain the results you wish to obtain.