WHAT CAUSES GYNECOMASTIA IN OLDER MEN?
Various factors can cause it:
- Reduction in the production of testosterone, which is related to aging.
- Accumulation of fatty tissue (mainly because overweight).
- Increase in the production of a hormone called Luteinizing, which stimulates the production of estrogens in the testicles.
- Certain medical conditions, such as kidney and liver diseases, hyperthyroidism, testicle, or adrenal tumors.
- Some medications: diuretics, antiandrogens used to treat prostate diseases, antihypertensive drugs and digoxin. Also, antidepressant medications and statins for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia.
- Marijuana use.
Complications From Gynecomastia Surgery
Gynecomastia surgery is very safe, and most patients have smooth recoveries. An impeccable surgical technique and postoperative care are essential to get good results.
However, as with any surgery, complications can occur. Rare complications include bleeding, fluid collections (seromas), contour irregularities, loss of nipple skin, visible scarring, and asymmetries.
It is very common to have bruising, swelling, and little lumps in the treated area. It is also possible to have a slightly uneven appearance. This can be completely normal and will settle in the following weeks.
Also, you may feel numbness or a tingling sensation due to nerve irritation. This is a transient effect that resolves in weeks or within the first six months of surgery.
Doctor Jesús Benito: Publications:
- Assessment of a suction-assisted cartilage shaver plus liposuction for the treatment of gynaecomastia. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 2009 Jul-Aug;29(4):302-9. Benito-Ruiz J, Raigosa M, Manzano M, Salvador L.
- Tratamiento de la ginecomastia con vibroliposuctor + shaving. Comunicación oral en la sección “Best of Europe” en el I Congreso de la EASAPS, Madrid, octubre de 2009. Benito-Ruiz J, Raigosa JM, Manzano-Surroca M, Salvador L.
- Gynaecomastia: Risk Factors, Diagnosis and Management. En: Endocrine Diseases: Risk Factors, Diagnosis and Management. Kenneth Hines (ed). Nova Publishers. 2015. Benito-Ruiz J, Manzano M.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH DOCTOR BENITO.
The first visit is free and without obligation.
You can contact us on WhatsApp or Viber at +34 657 460 421.
If you wish, you can send us some photos to have an estimate quote. Photos will not be stored and will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Please explain the results you wish to obtain.