The nose is the most prominent and important feature of your face. It draws a lot of attention and can define who you are.
Sometimes, it doesn’t even matter if you have beautiful eyes and lips. A huge, asymmetrical nose can throw everything out of balance, sending beauty right off the window.
So, maybe you want a nose job but are afraid of the recovery and results.
Traditionally, this procedure includes rhinoplasty surgeons using a hammer and chisel to reshape the nasal bones. With these tools, there is the real possibility of a lack of precision and contouring problems.
However, a new technique called ultrasonic rhinoplasty effectively reshapes the nose and removes humps with less trauma afterward. You get an overall reduced downtime!
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty opened up a new era of gentle options for aesthetic bone refinement. So, if you are ready to dive into the world of ultrasonic nose jobs, keep on reading.
Medical Solutions Barcelona
What Is an Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty?
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty, developed in 2013 and FDA-approved in November 2017, is also known as piezo rhinoplasty or ultrasonic rhino sculpture.
It is a method that uses high speed sound waves to cut, shape, and polish the hard cartilage and bony structures of the nose.
An ultrasound device that has ergonomic tips called Piezotome performs the process.
The Piezotome performs the same gestures as the classic rhinoplasty instruments. It uses micro-vibrations, which are really fast paced micro-impacts to shape or cut the surface of the bones. It acts as an electric toothbrush or micro-saw!
The piezotome device comes with various sculpting tools. These tip inserts allow the surgeon to file, polish, pierce holes, or create breaks in cartilage and bone continuity.
Piezoelectric inserts can selectively act on bones and hard cartilage so that soft tissues remain untouched. This includes the skin, mucosa, and flimsy nasal cartilages. Only the bones can absorb the ultrasonic energy!
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ULTRASONIC RHINOPLASTY AND THE CONVENTIONAL METHOD?
There is no “real difference” in the goal of these two surgical procedures, except that an ultrasound instrument replaces manual instruments.
However, ultrasonic rhinoplasty is a gentle technique that gives the surgeon greater precision.
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty is a synonym for bone remodeling. It involves thinning and polishing gradually to smooth nasal contours and achieve a perfect result.
The technique also falls into the category of preservation rhinoplasty, which aims to reshaping the bone instead of breaking it, typical in old-fashioned techniques.
During an ultrasonic rhino sculpture:
- An open approach is needed! The skin is separated from the underlying bony structures.
- The Piezotome controls the fracture lines of the bone under direct vision. This is opposed to the often unpredictable radiating fracture lines caused by traditional rhinoplasty instruments.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ULTRASONIC RHINO SCULPTURE?
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty provides extreme precision and safety. This intervention cannot damage the fragile tissues around the bones.
- The ultrasonic energyor vibrations slowly cut and polish the nasal bones.
- Bones can be sculpted and reshaped, which is impossible with conventional instruments. In many cases, bones don’t even need to be broken.
- The specialists have perfect control over what they do because they can see the entire nasal bones.
- Fracture line is under control.
- It reduces trauma to the surrounding tissuesand blood vessels.
- The hard cartilage is sculpted and reshaped with precision.
- The intervention does not damage the soft tissuesthat are on the nasal tip.
- Ultrasonic instrumentation is more predictable and can be used in complex cases that require tailored adjustments.
- The recovery is faster compared to traditional rhinoplasty.
- Minimal swelling and bruising.
- The patients can return to work after a week!
- Patients can also blow their noses or wear glasses after an ultrasonic rhino sculpture.
- It lowers the chances of needing a follow-up corrective procedure.
In theory, with ultrasonic rhinoplasty, there is less surrounding trauma. Hence, you decrease the amount of bleeding, post-surgical bruising, swelling, and pain.
Additionally, using the piezotome device, the results after ultrasonic rhinoplasty are consistently better than a traditional open rhinoplasty.
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF ULTRASONIC RHINOPLASTY?
The first disadvantage of this technique is that it can only be used in open rhinoplasty procedures. The piezosurgery instruments need more space to be positioned and to sculpt the new nose.
So, the open surgical technique used to allow this means that it could be an increased risk of swelling in the first 48 hours. But, after this time, the swelling and bruising should be minimal compared to the traditional procedure!
Additionally, your surgeon has to expose the skin of the nose more extensively to fit the device. This requires external skin incisions to expose nasal structures.
However, the advantages of using the piezotome heavily outweigh the presence of minimal, almost negligible scars.
Although few plastic surgeons offer the procedure nowadays, ultrasonic rhino sculpture will become popular in the coming years, giving patients more options to change the shape of their noses.
Am I A Right Candidate for an Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty?
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty’s main goal is to improve the contours of your nose.
However, only patients who require a reduction or adjustment of the nasal structure are suitable. This includes hump reduction, adjustment of septum deviations, bone irregularities, and narrowing the bony midvault.
The ultrasonic rhinoplasty technique is not suitable for fixing the nasal tip.
Also, it is less than ideal for cartilage adjustments requiring graft techniques. The piezotome will not cut or reshape the soft cartilage of the tip!
Therefore, if you only require tip surgery, ultrasonic rhinoplastymay not be right for you.
Also, you must consider that a piezo rhinoplasty needs to be performed using an open approach, not an intranasal (closed) approach.
WHAT ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS BEFORE AN ULTRASONIC RHINOPLASTY?
Rhinoplasty surgery is a specific field in cosmetic surgery. You should choose the right place and the right team to take care of your nose.
Also, you must have a deep understanding of how you feel about your nose. The patients must discuss their goals and expectations with the plastic surgeon to ensure great results.
Your doctor will take measurements as part of your naso-facial analysis. Also, he will perform a functional assessment of your breathing, both with your mouth open and closed.
Additionally, your surgeon will take high-resolution photographs and use computerized digital imaging to give you an idea of what your nose will look like after surgery.
Other preoperative recommendations that you need to follow are:
- Go to the preoperative anaesthesia consultation.
- Perform the preoperative blood tests and medical evaluations necessary in case you have any history of medical conditions.
- Depending on your medication, you may be asked to stop or change certain drugs.
- You should refrain from taking aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, the week before your surgery. Those medications could interfere with blood clotting.
- Stop smoking at least two weeks before surgery! Smokers have a higher risk of impaired wound healing as well as more chance of infections.
DURING THE ULTRASONIC RHINOPLASTY
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty takes place under general anaesthesia and needs about 2-3 hours to complete. This procedure is performed on an outpatient basis.
First of all, ultrasonic rhinoplasty involves opening the skin on the nose, exposing the underlying bone and cartilage.
In that case, your doctor will make a small incision on the columella (the piece of skin between your nostrils) for optimal access and visualization.
Then, using ultrasonic energy, the surgeon gently performs the bone reshaping of the nose to achieve the desired result.
The Recovery and Results
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty’s results do not only depend on the skill of the plastic surgeon. The patient must follow the postoperative instructions.
You may need to take one week off work to recover fully. Conversely, traditional rhinoplasty patients often need two weeks off work.
There is little or no pain following surgery. You should present minimal swelling and bruising.
However, it is normal to experience slight breathing impairment and a congested feeling the
first week after surgery.
A nasal splint is required to keep the nasal bones in position during the recovery period. This splint is removed in the first 7-10 days.
At the time of splint removal, most patients will discover minimal or no bruising at all.
- It is recommended that you sleep in an up-right elevated position with several pillows. This helps to reduce any swelling that may appear.
- It is best to sleep on your back instead of on your front or sides to avoid any contact with the nose.
- You should avoid any sun exposure for the first few months following the procedure.
- Do not engage in heavy exercise for at least the first four weeks.
In terms of results, you will start to see the difference after 1 to 3 months. However, the final results will be noticeable after one year.
Indeed, there is no fast track to the final results of ultrasonic rhinoplasty. However, there are huge advantages in the immediate recovery period and the quality of the results obtained.
HOW MUCH DOES ULTRASONIC RHINOPLASTY COST?
Rhinoplasty surgery cost depends on the complexity of the patient’s case. Without meeting the patient we don’t offer approximate prices as each patient is a different case.
But we know that the economic factor is important when it comes to making a decision. Therefore, we offer the possibility for the patient to come to our facilities for a first free no-obligation visit.
You can consult with the surgeon regarding all your doubts and worries and we will offer the best solution and the best price for your nose job.
To conclude, cosmetic rhinoplasty is a comfort surgery. So, there is no reimbursement by Social Security for this plastic surgery intervention.
With more than 20 years of experience, Doctor Jesús Benito is one of the best rhinoplasty surgeons in Europe. He is an authority in plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
Doctor Benito masters several surgical techniques which allow him to achieve the best results in nose deformities. Some of his techniques have been presented in different scientific publications and at international congresses.
Doctor Jesús Benito
Specialist in plastic and cosmetic surgery.
- Secretary of the ISAPS (International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery).
- Former president of the Spanish Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (AECEP).
- 2013 Gold Medal (Forum Europa)
Bibliography & Publications:
- Yoon T, Benito-Ruiz J, Garcia-Diez E, Serra-Renom JM. Our algorithm for nasal reconstruction. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006;59(3):239-47.
- Benito-Ruiz J, Raigosa M, Yoon TS. Columella Reconstruction Using a Free Flap From the First Web Space of the Foot. Ann Plast Surg. 2012 Sep; 69(3):279-82
Do you want more information about ultrasonic rhinoplasty?
The first visit is free and without obligation.
You can contact us on WhatsApp or Viber at +34 657 460 421.
If you wish, you can send us some photos to have an estimate quote. Photos will not be stored and will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Please explain the results you wish to obtain.
Antiaging Group Barcelona
Ronda del General Mitre, 84, 08021 (Barcelona, Spain)
Nearest Metro Stations: Les Tres Torres / La Bonanova